Full Time Practice

Monday, December 8, 2014

Meet Elizabeth Shill


Elizabeth Shill is an attorney in Southern California.  Thanks to Desiree Nordstrom for conducting this interview!




Where did you get your law degree and undergraduate degree? 

I received my law degree from Chapman University School of Law and my undergraduate degree at BYU.

Did you grow up knowing you wanted to go to law school? 

Yes!

What have you done since law school and where do you work now?   

After law school I volunteered at a legal aid clinic and small law firm prior to getting my job.  I now work for a company called Core Development Services.  I work in the leasing department representing wireless carriers in acquiring land for cell phone towers.

What do you enjoy most about what you do?  

I enjoy the fast-paced environment because it always keeps me on my toes.  I also enjoy the daily interaction I have with people from varying backgrounds.  

How has your path in law differed from what you expected your path to be in the beginning?   

When I began law school, I was married with two small children.  I always planned on doing civil defense litigation.  Halfway through my 3L year, I divorced and realized I wouldn't be able to balance children and the time litigation requires.

How do you juggle being a mom and a professional? 

Juggling is a work in progress.  Because I can work from home I have to consciously make an effort to keep my work phone on silent and keep my laptop turned off until after my girls go to bed.  I am blessed with family and friends to help with my girls when I have an evening meeting or need them to be picked up from school.  Having family and friends nearby helps a lot.

Tell us about your kids.

 My oldest daughter is Madison.  She is 11 years old.  She enjoys drawing and wants to be an artist for Disney someday.  Reagan is 8 years old.  She has a fun personality and keeps the mood light around the house.

What advice would you give other working moms?

Try to find a balance between work and home.  Learn to put all the work stressors in the back of your mind so when you are with your children you can give them 100% of your attention and hopefully not let the stress of work come home with you.  Don't compare yourself with moms who stay at home and don't feel guilty for working.  Remember why you work in the first place and remember that you as the mom, know what is best for your children and current situation.   

What are your future professional goals?

 I'd like to focus more on real estate transactional law.  


It is great getting to know Elizabeth better! Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment