Full Time Practice

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

An Outpouring of Support and Encouragement


(Written by Heather Pack, a WIL Committee member, who is responsible for the blog focus group "Singles".)

Last week, I took the bar exam!  And while, obviously, I was overwhelmed with the quantity of material that I had to memorize, the hours on end of preparation, and the sheer pressure that I felt before and during the exam, I was most impressed with the multitude of encouraging messages I received.


I was so humbled in the days leading up to the exam with the mass of text messages, emails, cards, and small gifts from people in all segments of my life.  It was impossible to not get emotional with gratitude for the outpouring of support and encouragement that I felt.

As a single woman, I sometimes struggle with feelings of isolation or loneliness.  It’s not that I don’t have family and friends who frequently show their love for me, I do.  I think what made this experience particularly poignant was that I experienced love from all of them at the same time—coupled with love from many other unexpected sources, such as work, church, and neighbors.

I was amazed at how many kind people in my life actually remembered that I was facing this nerve-racking test, and then took the time to do something nice for me.

I have realized that even though I sometimes may feel like it, I am not isolated or alone.  None of us really are.  I also realized that I want to pay it forward—I want to pay more attention to what’s going on in the lives of those around me and do what I can to support and encourage them when they need it.  I just want to help others to feel the embrace of their support-system that I felt last week.  Pass or fail, my experience during the bar exam will always be a positive memory because it will remind me that love is really all around.

(One of the goals of this blog is to address seven different focus groups:  full time practice; part time practice; on hiatus; practicing with children at home; students; using your law degree in your community and family; and, singles.  If you have any suggestions about topics you would like to see addressed in these areas, please let us know through the Comment section below.)


No comments:

Post a Comment