Full Time Practice

Monday, July 16, 2012

New Women in the Law Chair at BYU Law School Shares Thoughts on Summer Clerkship


Congratulations to Cecily Couture, 3L at BYU Law School, Provo, Utah, who is chairing the Women in the Law group at the law school for 2012-13 school year.

In response to our request, Cecily submitted a detailed and candid report on her summer job:

"This summer I was lucky enough to snag a law clerk position at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Salt Lake City. I am working in the White Collar Crime division. I was having a hard time pinning down a summer clerkship when I found out that the USAO was still accepting applications. My friend’s dad is an AUSA and he encouraged me to apply. Since nothing else was panning out, I decided to go for it, even though I wasn’t sure my credentials (grades, really) were good enough. It just goes to show that you never really know until you try!
"The first week of my clerkship was spent re-learning Westlaw. I had become accustomed to the new-fangled research products like WestlawNext and Lexis Advance. Not only that, but the past year I had been doing less typical legal research and more academic research. Once I got into it, though I found that it was a little bit like riding a bike. Unfortunately, outside of research and writing, I wasn’t really prepared to be put in the White Collar division. I had applied for a position with the ICE Immigration attorney, since that is where my interests lie.
"But the White Collar team has been gracious and friendly and they have really helped me get up to speed (with frequent mini-lectures on the Federal Rules of Evidence and Grand Jury proceedings). The White Collar supervisor, Scott Thorley, is a BYU Law alumnus from one of the first graduating classes. We also have a more recent grad on the team. It’s great to have the BYU support because outside of us few there is a strong U presence (not that I take sides; I’m a UCLA Bruin), and they make it well known that we are outnumbered."

No comments:

Post a Comment