Full Time Practice

Friday, June 20, 2014

Some Thoughts On Womanhood

(Written by Deborah Hendrickson, WIL Committee vice-chair.)

I was recently studying and preparing to present a lesson on “The Divine Nature of Womanhood”.  As is usually the case, I am sure that I  learned more through my preparation than anyone who heard the lesson I presented.  

Some of the quotes that I came across seemed particularly insightful about women and I wanted to share a few of them.

First, the importance of being there for each other as women:

To be sisters implies that there is an unbreakable bond between us. Sisters take care of each other, watch out for each other, comfort each other, and are there for each other through thick and thin. The Lord has said, “I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.

The adversary would have us be critical or judgmental of one another. He wants us to concentrate on our differences and compare ourselves to one another. You may love to exercise vigorously for an hour each day because it makes you feel so good, while I consider it to be a major athletic event if I walk up one flight of stairs instead of taking the elevator.  We can still be friends, can’t we?
Bonnie Isaacson, “Sisterhood:  Oh How We Need Each Other”, April 2014, Ensign Magazine

Second, regarding decisions about motherhood, family, education and career:

These are very emotional, personal decisions, but there are two principles that we should always keep in mind. First, no woman should ever feel the need to apologize or feel that her contribution is less significant because she is devoting her primary efforts to raising and nurturing children. Nothing could be more significant in our Father in Heaven’s plan. Second, we should all be careful not to be judgmental or assume that sisters are less valiant if the decision is made to work outside the home. We rarely understand or fully appreciate people’s circumstances. Husbands and wives should prayerfully counsel together, understanding they are accountable to God for their decisions.

.  . . I would hope that Latter-day Saints would be at the forefront in creating an environment in the workplace that is more receptive and accommodating to both women and men in their responsibilities as parents.
Neil L. Andersen, “LDS Women Are incredible! “, April 2011, Ensign Magazine

And finally an uplifting message from Gordon B. Hinckley, past President and Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints:

 Of all the creations of the Almighty, there is none more beautiful, none more inspiring than a lovely daughter of God who walks in virtue with an understanding of why she should do so, who honors and respects her body as a thing sacred and divine, who cultivates her mind and constantly enlarges the horizon of her understanding, who nurtures her spirit with everlasting truth. 
 Gordon B. Hinckley, “Our Responsibility to Our Young Women,” Sept. 1988, Ensign Magazine

1 comment:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly that sisters look out for each other through thick and thin. I was going through a tough phase when I had my legal practices for sale and my sister saw me through it.

    ReplyDelete