Full Time Practice

Monday, April 15, 2013

A Balancing Act

(Written by Deborah Hendrickson, WIL Committee vice-chair.)


One of the many challenges in practicing in my area of Family Law is to balance feelings of compassion and concern for your client versus maintaining an objective perspective, which is vital for self-preservation and to best serve your client’s needs. 

I sometimes go too far one way or the other.  At times I’m lying awake at night worrying about what’s going on in a client’s life.  So I try to become more analytical and more emotionally detached.  

Other times, I worry that my efforts to maintain objectivity and not become too emotionally involved cause me to lose the ability to be as compassionate as I believe a follower of Christ should be. 

It’s an ongoing balancing act but in the end I think it’s a healthy one to avoid going too far for too long in one direction or the other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment