Full Time Practice

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Meet Shannon Sperry


Shannon Sperry is one of three women serving as WIL reps for the Seattle JRCLS Chapter. She is a great example to many.  I thought it would be nice to get to know her better and also hear her feelings regarding her involvement with the JRCLS.

Why did you decide to go to law school?   I debated in high school and college and was successful.  I liked it so much that I wanted to debate for the rest of my life.  I also always wanted a career from the time I was very little and I liked the idea of a career that was unusual for women.

Where did you go to law school?  University of Utah, class of 1975. 

What type of practice do/did you have?   I am a business attorney with specific concentrations in real estate and employment.  I work full time.

What do you like about practicing law?   I love solving problems.  My favorite thing is to listen to a new client describe an issue and then come up with the strategy to solve the problem.  I also have enjoyed building a firm and running the business aspects of the firm.  When I started there were 4 attorneys and now we have 38 attorneys.   

Tell us a little bit about your family.  I am married to Paul Goodrich who I met in law school.  He started out as a lawyer, but then switched and became a venture capitalist for technology companies.  We have 4 children, 1 boy and 3 girls.  The oldest is an attorney practicing in Seattle, the second works for a hedge fund in NY, the next is in her 2nd year of law school and the last has started a small lead generation internet business in LA.   

Share with us why you're involved with the JRCLS and how WIL is a part of that.  I went to a few meetings and I was the only woman attending.  I decided that it was my responsibility to represent the women attorneys.  So I faithfully went to every meeting and then was asked to join the board.  I enjoy working with very intelligent  hard working people that want to make this world a better place.  Our WIL is very small.  We have a luncheon once a year (anywhere from 6 to 10 show up).  I think our luncheons are supportive to the people that show up. 

(We want to regularly use this blog to highlight you: women of faith who have been trained in the law.  You are doing great things--in the courtroom, in your community and in your home.   Getting to know each other better will strengthen each of us individually as well as strengthen us as a whole.  If you know anyone you think we should highlight, please let us know at nanbarker@gmail.com.)

No comments:

Post a Comment