Full Time Practice

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Meet Randilyn Nordstrom

(Written by Desiree Nordstrom, a WIL Committee and Orange County Board member.)


Tell us a little bit about yourself.  I am a southern California native who can never get enough of the beach!  I majored in English at BYU and I have minors in music and Spanish.  I love running, hiking, basketball, volleyball, and surfing--to name a few.  I am currently training for my first Olympic Distance Triathlon! 

Why did you decide to go to law school?  Law school has been my plan since grade school.  In middle school, I was on our Mock Trial Team and I even wrote an essay in 7th grade about how I wanted to be a lawyer when I grew up.  It feels awesome to be living my dream.

You passed the July 2012 bar, what has been most challenging in your job hunt since passing?  It took me more than 5 months to get a job after I was sworn in as an attorney.  During that time I was networking like crazy!  By and large, seasoned attorneys were willing to meet with me to offer advice and suggestions, but often I got the cold shoulder because it seemed that I was "begging" for a job when really I was just attempting to expand my network. 

Do you have any suggestions for experienced attorneys that would help new attorneys in their job search?  I would have loved to work part-time at various law firms during my period of unemployment.  I was a brand new attorney, hungry to put my skills to work and I felt that even if I worked only 5-6 hours a week at a firm, I could gain valuable experience, decrease some over-worked attorney's work-load while increasing their productivity, and best of all, at 5-6 hours a week, there would be little risk to the firm!  I thought I could do this at 2-3 firms but no one ever took me up on the offer.  It still seems like it could be a good idea for new attorneys...

What area or areas of law are you interested in and why?  I am currently practicing Social Security Disability Law.  This area of law was never on my radar, but I was open to applying for the position and I am so happy that I did!  I LOVE my work and I think it is a perfect fit for me.  I feel privileged to meet people from various backgrounds and it is extremely rewarding to be a part of their life changing for the better.  I frequently get emotional when my clients are granted social security benefits--often after many years of suffering--and they look me in the eyes and sincerely thank me for helping them.  It's hard to have a bad day after something like that happens.

Share with us why you're involved with the JRCLS and how WIL is a part of that.  I love being a part of the JRCLS!  I feel an instant camaraderie with fellow members because I know we share the same core values and beliefs.  I get especially excited when I meet other women members because there are fewer of us and I love seeing how successful these women have been professionally as well as with their families and in other aspects of life. WIL is so inspiring to me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment